29.3.13

My Grandma

March is National Reading Month here in America, and so it is doubly appropriate that this Saturday, March 30th, on what would have been her 91st birthday, my grandmother Maxine Huber, librarian of the people, will be honored in a ceremony dedicating a plaque at the Egelston County library in her name.

Maxine was a self-motivated woman who didn't fit into the cookie-cutter mold.  She gave birth to seven children, went to college, owned and operated a grocery store and later attained the position of librarian. 
My grandma not only instilled in me a love of reading, but her library shelves opened for me a million necessary worlds to escape into.  And it was almost certainly her lingering influence that guided me in my adult life-- consequently I spent seven years working in a library, too!




I considered my grandmother to be my best friend, and her unexpected death when I was just 11 years old turned my little world inside out.  But knowing that she would be proud of the woman I am today, and the hard work I've put into creating my own business (just like she did back in 1950) makes me stand a little taller, look a little farther onto the horizon, and motivates me to climb ever upward.


Thank you for everything, grandma!  

{ read an article about the dedication HERE }

No comments:

Post a Comment